The 23.3-mile multi-use Ontario Pathways Rail Trail and 3 short connected hiking loop trails are managed and maintained by the privately owned, non-profit organization, Ontario Pathways, Inc. in conjunction with community-based volunteers and membership.
Trail write up - work in progress
Ontario Pathway Trail Connections
Flint Creek, Train Wreck and Hemlock Grove Loop Trails
These three short trails ranging from .3 to 1 mile in length, branch off the Phelps leg of the rail trail. Flint Creek Trail is the longest segment and travels through woods and along Flint Creek.
The 81-foot long Flint Bridge spans Routes 5 and 20 in the village of Flint. It replaces an old railroad bridge destroyed in a traffic accident in 2010. It supports light vehicles, pedestrians, cyclists and horses.
Ontario Pathway Bike Trail Description
The V-shaped Ontario Pathways trail system has a southern apex in Stanley. The western leg stretches from Stanley and heads north to to Phelps. The eastern leg travels northeast to Canandaigua. The entire V is located between 2 Lakes; Seneca Lake and Canandaigua Lake.
The Ontario Pathway Trail travels mostly through quiet countryside, farmland and woods. The trail is flat, around 10 feet wide with a cinder track running between grass sides. This is a great family bike ride. There are trestle and bridge crossings over scenic creeks with waterfalls. From Stanley to Phelps the trail is more scenic as it follows Flint Creek.
Trail Highlights & Nearby Points of Interest
Double Drop Falls
The beautiful 5 ft. high crescent-shaped, Double Drop Falls (Old Mill Falls) on Flint Creek is the site of the first mill built in the town of Phelps. The 90 ft. wide stone dam at the top of the falls was built in the late 1890's. A viewing area overlooking the falls is located on the east of the creek, south of Main Street.
Kayakers love to run this stretch of the creek during the spring run-off season.
Things To Do
County Fairs, Festivals, Special Events
Phelps was one of the largest producers of sauerkraut in the world. Most notable was the Seneca Sauerkraut Factory that was located at the west end of Main Street. The Phelps Sauerkraut Festival, is usually held during the first weekend in August.
Parking in downtown Canandaigua on the northside at 200 Ontario St., between Rt.332 (Main St.) and East St. Parking also on Freshour Rd., County Rd. 47, Depot Rd. and in Phelps on Rt.96 or Gifford Rd.
The east-west segment was constructed in 1851 to carry coal to the lake and the north-south segment in 1872, to carry agricultural products. At one time the community of Stanley, where the two sections of the trail join, was a major interchange for trains and had over 200 railroad employees as residents. Remnants from the railroad era include trestle and bridge crossings and an old wood railroad water tower in Orleans.
Ontario Pathways, Inc.
Website: Ontario Pathways Organization
Phone: (585) 234-7722